Trying to find a mobile app consulting company that can help build the app that will lead your startup to success? Here’s our guide to finding mobile application development consulting services.
The mobile app industry is continuing to grow, with it estimated to be worth $613 billion by 2025. That’s an increase of 31% from 2022!
This can make creating a mobile app a worthwhile investment. However, it’s vital to bear in mind that less than 0.01% of apps will be considered a financial success.
To put this into context – one app will succeed out of every 10,000. For every TikTok, there’s a Vine, YikYak, and Google Plus.
If you want to make 2022 the year you launch your mobile app startup, prior planning is essential. One way you can increase your chances of success is by bringing a reliable mobile app consulting company on board.
In this article, we’re going to look at what mobile application consulting is and how you can find the right mobile application development consulting services to suit your needs.
- What is an app development consultant?
- Why might you need an application development consultant?
- What does mobile application development consulting involve?
- How to find the perfect mobile application development consulting company to work with
- In summary: let a mobile app development consultant do the heavy lifting for you
What is an app development consultant?
A mobile application development consultant is a business or individual that works with other companies to launch them on mobile platforms.
They may work with startups looking to launch their app online, or established companies that already have an online presence but want to offer customers a mobile app.
Some app development consultants will work with any industry and technology, while others are more niche.
With 42% of businesses having a mobile app and 30% planning to create one in the future, the market space for mobile application development consulting services is pretty big!
Your first thought of what development consulting may entail is programming and building a smartphone app. While this is a substantial part of it, there is so much more to mobile application consulting. We’ll go into more detail about what services application development consultations offer a little later.
A good mobile application development consulting company will be with you from start to finish, from working with you to develop your initial idea to helping to deploy it.
Why might you need an application development consultant?
The main reason startups use mobile application development consultants is to save money and time.
When you’re a small startup, you may not have the resources to create your own app. Even if you have a web developer on the payroll, they may not have the specialist skills to build a smartphone app for you.
The average mobile developer salary in the UK is £55,355, although this can vary from country to country. Even at the lower pay rates, it can be expensive to have mobile app developers in-house.
(Looking to recruit your own mobile app developers? This article will tell you what you need to know about hiring in a startup.)
Even if you have developers on the team who can build mobile apps, time may be a factor. Even a small app can take 12 weeks to create from start to finish. If you’re looking to launch before a major competitor, those three months could be the difference between success and failure.
One of the main advantages of bringing in a mobile app development consultant though is that they manage the process from start to finish. This means a smooth process and one key point of contact – meaning you can focus on looking after everything else.
This can be a significant benefit over hiring multiple freelancers or contractors, who may work well on their own but would struggle to coordinate your mobile app project.
What does mobile application development consulting involve?
As mobile application development is fully comprehensive, you can expect a wide range of different services. While the exact services that mobile app development consultants offer can vary, they typically provide the following:
- Planning and research. A mobile application consultant will work with you to see if your idea is a viable one. At You Are Launched, we use lean startup methodology to check that your app idea will be profitable
- Design. After making sure an idea is viable, it’s time to design it. An app design consultant will help you decide on which features to include and make sure the customer journey is simple and efficient
- Development. If you don’t have programmers, the application development consultant will use their own team of experts to build an app for you. Creating a minimum viable product (MVP) means you can get to market quicker and get valuable customer feedback
- Testing and quality assurance. After building the app, the app design consultant will test it to make sure it works on a wide range of different devices and platforms
- Deployment. A mobile app consulting company will help launch your product, suggesting the best places to promote it
- Technical support. Things can go wrong or need changing after a mobile app launches. A mobile application development consultant will be on standby if your app needs tweaking and updating
- Marketing. Not all mobile application consultants offer this service, but some will actively help you market your app to the right target audience. Others will make suggestions that your own marketing team can quickly implement
How to find the perfect mobile application development consulting company to work with
As nice as it would be to have a Tinder for application development consultants, unfortunately, this is a long way off!
If you’re not sure which mobile app consulting company to swipe right on, we’ve put together some tips to give you some guidance.
Know your budget
It’s important to know what your budget for working on your app will be. As this will be a start-to-finish service, the costs will be higher than if you were working on all the individual elements separately.
Costs will vary from consultant to consultant but remember that the cheapest deal isn’t necessarily the best. With mobile apps, you definitely get what you pay for.
Ask your network
Chances are you know someone who has worked with a mobile app consulting company before, so don’t be afraid to pick their brains!
Ask your peers, friends, and social media connections if they can suggest a company to you. You’re sure to come back with a lot of recommendations that you can check out in more detail.
If you’re working with an investor, they are likely to have some connections they can recommend.
Look at online reviews and portfolios
A mobile app development consultant might say they do fantastic work, but their online reviews might tell another story.
Take a look at their online reviews, either on Google, Trustpilot, Clutch, or social media. If the consultant has a portfolio on their website, don’t be afraid to reach out to the companies and see what their honest experiences were.
Another handy tip for you. Download the apps the consultancy has developed for your phone and see what they’re like. If they’re fast loading and easy to use – it’s a good sign! If they’re slow and clunky, it could be a red flag.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
Working with a mobile app development consultant will be a significant investment, so you want to make sure you’ve made the right choice.
Most consultants will be happy to meet with you face-to-face or online to introduce themselves and find out more about your needs. This is an excellent opportunity to see if they will work well with you.
Questions you can ask include:
- What experience do you have with other startups/similar industries to mine? If you haven’t found any already, ask to see a few case studies or speak to some previous customers
- Do you have experience in specific technology? For example, if you want to launch an app that uses AR, you’ll want to work with a consultant with a relevant skillset
- Can you talk me through the process of helping develop and launch an app? This will vary from consultancy to consultancy, but it is good to get a handle on how they will get your app to market. Do they offer any extra value that other mobile app development consultants don’t?
- Are all your team based in-house, or do you contract services out? In-house teams are generally more cohesive, but this isn’t always necessarily the case. It might be worth looking into what time zones teams will be in, as this may make communication more challenging
- How secure will my app be? If your app is handling payments or sensitive personal data, you will want to make sure the consultant will keep your information safe. Check and see if they have any accreditations like ISO 27001
- Do you use a lean development methodology? It’s incredibly important for application development consultants to know how to apply lean project management to your prospective app
It may be the case that they can’t give you an answer straight away but will check and come back to you later with a response. If they do, make sure the reply you receive is comprehensive and timely.
Know what you will get
As we mentioned earlier, different consultancies offer different levels of service. It’s important to know what you will get for the money. For example, will the mobile app development consultant’s job be done when your app is launched, or will they be available for additional support?
Some consultants may state what they offer on their websites, and others may detail what they provide when they speak with you. Make sure you’re happy with what they are offering before you sign any contracts.
Don’t be pressured into a decision
Most mobile app development consultants will be happy for you to take your time and see if they are the right fit for your needs.
You’re not under any obligation to go with the first consultant you speak to. It may even be the case you want to go down a different route after talking, for example, deciding that you want to hire someone in-house.
If a mobile app development consultant is pressuring you to sign up with them, don’t be afraid to walk away if you don’t think they’re a good match.
In summary: let a mobile app development consultant do the heavy lifting for you
One in four mobile apps that are downloaded is only used once. If you want to create a mobile app that everyone wants to use, you need to strike that fine balance between comprehensive research and a quick launch.
When you have a startup to manage, bringing in a mobile application development consultant can help free up your time and increase the chance of your app being a success.
Want to know more about mobile app development? Here are some additional articles that will inspire you:
- Lean startup mobile development: app checklist
- Six steps to building a mobile app startup
- The lean startup in healthcare app development
We hope this article has given you some valuable tips to find a mobile app consulting company that is right for you.
Of course, while you’re here… did you know we offer mobile application development consulting services to startups?
Read on to find out more…
Let You are launched brings your mobile startup idea to life
We specialize in launching mobile apps. This means if you’re looking to get your brand new mobile app to market, we’re the team you can trust.
Our experts have experience working with a range of mobile app startups, from prenatal yoga to personal finance. When you come on board with us, we’ll help you build, launch and market your smartphone app.
If you want mobile app development consulting, we can deliver the results you deserve.
Contact us today to find out how we can work together to develop your smartphone app.